Hippocrates said …
This is to say that our food should contain the vital nutrients that are necessary to maintain good Health and not things that undermine our health!
The food industry is growing and manufacturing our food on industrial farms, in such a manner that it contains less vital nutrients and have added chemicals that threaten our health. These chemicals allow food producers to produce our food with higher yields, longer shelf life, have less waste and make food cheaper and more profitable. It makes food production more profitable while it puts our Health in jeopardy.
Our Health is being traded to make corporations wealthier and make share holders more money! It compromises or health in many ways:
- Food with less of the vital macro and micro nutrients that the bodies requires to maintain health
- Chemicals to our food that allow it to be produce with less loss to pests or plant issues
- Food to be produced in less than Ideal soil conditions and less than ideal environments or weather with extended growing seasons
- GMO Food to be produced in uniform sizes which helps with automation.
- It preserves food so there is less spoilage giving food a longer shelf life and allowing it to be shipped further.
- It allows farmers to receive higher government subsidies producing our food making it more profitable.
- Farmers now grow only higher yield food products and this eliminates lesser yield food choices eliminating verity.
- Seed company are only making GMO seeds that do not germinate new seeds requiring farms to repurchase seeds only from them. This eliminate variety and non GMO crops
- Industrial farms are putting neighboring smaller farms out of business to acquire there land to expand their farms.
- Foods containing toxic chemicals can cause foodborne diseases
- Chemical waste from industrial animal farms are leaching into adjacent vegetable farms causing FOODBORNE OUTBREAKS such as coli, other bacteria, viruses, parasites.
- contamination which cause human illness and death: https://wwwn.cdc.gov/foodborneoutbreaks/
18,211 Outbreaks, 358,391 Illnesses, 13,715 Hospitalizations (3.8%), 318 Deaths (.1%) … 1998 -2014
This leaves us with a food supply that:
- 66% of American are obese or overweight
- 51% want to lose weight
- 26% are making a serious effort to do so
- 95% who lose the weight will put it back on within 1 year
Things that trend you away from good health can be described as … less Healthy, not performance supporting, not energy giving, not supporting healthy aging, not supporting athletic recovery, not body function supporting, quality of life diminishing, life taking, health undermining, Health challenging, non value adding, Health deteriorating, or Health complicating, disease generating … I am sure you can add to this list!
Ironically if many of these things that jeopardized your health were labeled clearly, we would avoid consuming them. We all know or have heard about most of these toxic things, but are not given the ability to make choices with current labeling requirements. Many toxic chemicals are added to our food that we are not aware of and without us having the opportunity to eliminate them from our diet.
People who claim … “everything in moderation” generally have no idea that the makers of our food have made this a impossible scenario. The human body is overwhelmed with getting toxic chemicals out of our bodies. As a last resort, your body encapsulates toxins it cannot remove in fat and places them in your fat stores to protect itself. Your fat actually pulses around your body, like a heartbeat, to keep toxins from lying against vital organs that might cause disease. Losing weight (fat) re-releases these toxins into the blood stream, and if you still cannot get rid of them, re-threatens health and your body must re-encapsulate it, re-create more fat to protect itself … and this explains YO-YO dieting! You lose 10 then gain 10 over & over again!
Be aware of these items that TREND your health in the negative direction are:
- Salt or added salts … can raise blood pressure
- Added sugars … addictive
- Artificial sweeteners … addictive
- MSG … addictive
- Hydrated oils … are solids at 98.6° F …
- Saturated oils … easily stored
- Ground meats & Cold cuts … amino acid (protein) bankrupt
- “Low Fat items” (contain chemical additives)
- Alcohol consumption (90 cal/ounce)
- Caffeine …only low caffeine 80 -160 mg daily (organic blended with green tea extract, trace minerals to neutralize acidity) with coconut oil (Up to 400 milligrams (mg) of caffeine a day appears to be safe for most healthy adults. That’s roughly the amount of caffeine in four cups of brewed coffee)
- Fried foods … multiplies calorie intake (more than doubles) with fats stabilized to cook with making them hazardous to our health
- Bromated Flour … Breads made with Potassium Bromate (carcinogenic)
- No GMO products … studies have indicated they effect RNA in your cells
- No Soy products … linked to metabolic disorders
- No products treated with antibiotics (produce or livestock/fish/poultry) … super stains of antibiotic resistance diseases & effects humans digestive tract
- No products treated with hormones (livestock/fish/poultry) … Hormones are our body function regulators
- No farm raised fish … often GMO, often raised in harbors, often feed from their own feces
- No large deep swimming wild caught fish … mercury
- Only farm raised free range poultry
- No denatured whey products (has full complement of BCAA)
- No high fructose corn syrup …
- no carbonated products … compromises immune system (especially those mixed with sugar)
- avoid nightshades … causes inflammation
- no chemically enhanced food to preserve it … preservatives are mostly toxic
- artificial colors … often toxic
- poorly processed food to increase its profitability … grinding/blending foods longer than 20 seconds will denature them and remove nutrient content
Eliminate as many as you can, as often as you can!
With current labeling laws this is almost impossible. Remember … as a consumer … You vote for how they produce our food with your $$$$. I avoid doing business with food companies that do not honor YOUR health commitments YOU make to YOURSELF!